Menstruation cycle begins in a woman at the stage of the puberty and occurs at the interval of 28 days on average, however normal cycles can range from 21 to 35 days. The changes in hormones take place in the womans body as the egg prepares to be released and the female organs prepare for a possible pregnancy.
Any deviation outside the range of what constitutes a normal menstrual period is considered a menstrual problem and might be due a variety of reasons, some of which are gynaecological conditions that need investigation.
Menstrual irregularities that may be observed are:
- Amenorrhea absence of menstrual periods.
- Dysmenorrhoea painful menstruation.
- Heavy menstrual bleeding
- Oligomenorrhoea irregular or frequent menstrual periods.
Some of the causes that menstrual irregularities may be due:
- Hormonal disturbance: PCOS, Endometriosis.
- Anatomical problems: uterine fibroids, adenomyosis, endometrial polyps.
After investigations and having reached a correct diagnosis an approach to treatment will depend if a woman desires to have more children.
Some of the treatment options available:
- Oral contraception
- Intra-uterine Device (IUD)
- Endometrial ablation
- Endometrial polyp removal
- Total laparoscopic Hysterectomy (TLH)
If you suffer from menstrual problems, contact Dr Alex Polyakov to get an accurate diagnosis and discuss your treatment options.