A thorough pre-operative assessment of your gynaecological and other comorbid medical conditions will be done and the most optimum surgical procedure will be chosen. You will be informed about all the treatment options available for your condition including alternatives for surgery and less invasive techniques. Risks and benefits of surgery will also be discussed.
There are several surgical options to treat gynaecological problems such as fibroids, endometriosis and cancer. The treatment options are:
- Hysteroscopic resection of fibroids involves the removal of fibroids using a hysteroscope.
- Laparoscopy or keyhole surgery, involves insertion of a thin tube through the abdomen to remove the fibroids. It may also be performed to remove adhesion on the uterus.
- Open surgery is one in which an abdominal incision is made to remove larger fibroids.
- Hysterectomy is the surgical removal of a part or the entire uterus and is done in cases of endometriosis, when conservative options fail and in cancer of the endometrium and uterus. It is considered only if you are not planning a pregnancy in the future.
- Oophorectomy is the surgical removal of ovaries and is done in case of ovarian cancer.
- Laparotomy is used to cut or burn tissue or remove cysts.
The advantage of advanced laparoscopic surgeon such as Dr Polyakovis that he is able to perform complex surgeries using this minimally invasive technique enabling minimal recovery time for the patient.